Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Arctic Monkeys - "Mardy Bum"

John loved the Arctic Monkeys, and was especially proud that they were from Sheffield, his university town. The fact that they are both particularly English and also from the North and also from Yorkshire placed them very high in his esteem. At the start of our relationship he got me into them, which I was hesitant about at first, as I hadn't been especially excited about the singles that were on KEXP. Mostly, it was kind of hard to tell what the hell Alex Turner says half the time, and the frequent use of colloquialisms (exemplified by The Streets, which is another matter altogether) meant that some explanation was occasionally required. John explained that being "mardy" was like being sulky or grumpy or saturnine in Yorkshire. Thus, it was decided that this was a song about me. The fact that I am described as difficult is quite accurate; that this one term sums up several of my day-to-day character manifestations is rather moreso. But I quite like the Arctic Monkeys now, and seeing them in concert at the Showbox was the last activity that I did with John.

No comments: