Monday, March 24, 2008

John Mayer - "Body Is A Wonderland"

Bringing on the sentimentality in full force. Spring 2002, my ill-fated junior year at university, my ill-fated faux romance. We kept different hours. He studied natural science, I was immersed in social science. I liked to read, he thought it was "too sedentary." I liked to talk, and I certainly did so when nervous, and he - didn't. Truly, I suppose, this was a case of affection, or at least tension, without a solid basis, which is why it was good that it only went on for a few months. People must have thought we were mad; that, or that I was flailing wildly coping with my messy life and disheveled emotions (true) and that he was just getting laid with no real commitment before graduating (doubtless, also true) (although I wouldn't define anything having to do with me, especially with dating me, as "easy"). It's hard to think back and come to any solid conclusions - all I know is that we haven't had two words to say on the couple occasions we've been in the same place, and it's bloody awkward. But this was our love song, "our" song, and I wrote the most pertinent lyrics in a picture frame twinned with a photo of us. It was all a very sweet notion. I was going through a popular music phase, and hoping some romance was out in the world for me. I read The Unbearable Lightness of Being at this point. I kind of failed.

No comments: