Monday, March 24, 2008

Leonard Cohen

I kind of hate Leonard Cohen. Let's be honest - I was never the biggest fan, and though I can see how in some alternate universe I might really dig his stuff, I'm don't whilst living in this one. It's like, the original Sad Bastard music (as opposed to other contemporary emo, Sad Bastard artists - I'm looking at you, Bright Eyes and Dashboard Confessional), and it makes me cranky. Combine this with the time-of-life circumstances - it was Mike's thing, and what he liked to noodle around playing on the guitar, and I very vividly recall the sing-a-long at Jerrica's going away party in early September 2005 - and it makes me insane. "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye" and "So Long, Marianne," in particular.

I admit that I don't hate everything of Cohen's, and I care for it more when covered by other artists. But mostly, it drives me nutty.

No comments: