Monday, March 24, 2008

Kings of Leon - Because of the Times

Quite contrary to my experience with Aha Shake Heartbreak, my next Kings of Leon phase was when I met Tom. He, the America-phile who loves American Football (the Dallas Cowboys in particular) and soul music, had a thing for Kings of Leon as they are one of the few contemporary bands who ascribe to Tom's particularly retro music aesthetic. He was quite pleased that I liked them and owned their sophomore album (and their debut as well), and as music was one of the primary foundations of our friendship, this boded well. He gave me a copy of the newest album in April 2007 (right after it came out), and while it took me awhile to warm to the whole thing, it became something that linked him to me in my mind. "On Call" became our song, for me, and I was sentimental at that time, also liking "True Love Way"; "Charmer" was his favorite due to it's grittiness, and I now favor "Ragoo" and "Fans," the last two still having a place on my shuffle.

No comments: