Monday, March 24, 2008

Liz Phair - "Fuck and Run"

Ah, 2002. I have been a very bitter young lady at varying points in my life, and this song really embodies that spirit. I got into Liz Phair in spring of 2002, toward the end of my junior year in university. After my year-long dramatic relationship fell apart across the winter months, and I got into a new relationship one week later, I spent this spring being all swoony over dating a graduating senior who would end up moving across the country. While I was around campus at the very end of the year for JA training and reunions and graduation and trying not to fail out of school, I was holed up with my way-too-many belongings in my tiny, terrible temporary room blaring Liz Phair non-stop. It felt like everything around me was changing or ending. And this song just summed up everything I felt at that point, although it maybe didn't underscore the absolute misery and hopelessness and existential flailing that I had going on at that point in my life, beyond the simple desolation and abandonment of the unavoidable end of a relationship between two individuals poorly suited to one another. And thank god for that. Not to mention the fact that the song says that the cycle is a lifelong one.

No comments: