Monday, March 24, 2008
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
This album came out in late 2004, but I didn't get into it until spring of 2005. It was one of the first albums I purchased on i~Tunes (after hearing singles played on KEXP), and there was something about it - the twangy-ness, the southern-rock-ness, the gritty and awkward vocals, the self-referential and slightly vulgar lyrics, the songs as circumstantial snapshots lacking in happy endings - the latter few of qualities seemed to make it all just resonate for me at that time. I remember thinking that these were just some kids from Oklahoma, I think 19-21ish, and they made something that unexpectedly felt the way I felt. Living in the shitty Brooklyn apartment, spending my time in my dark bedroom initially suffering through my drawn-out crap relationship with Kurt that was slowing dying and had been doing so for months, feeling the hurt of being treated poorly and then the hurt of being alone. I willingly signed up for more. I spent a lot of February - early summer 2005 listening to this album.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I only know them by name, but I like your taste in music and movies in your profile.
Personally I'm a big fan of Bloc Party (Sunday <3)) and Sigur Ros. that's how I "found" you, I just adjusted my own profile en wanted to see who also loved sigur ros and you were on of the first persons popping up :).
I really hadn't imagined getting any comments, especially from as far as Belgium! I also really like Bloc Party and Sigur Ros. When it comes to listing music on profiles, I just get to the point where I pick a couple dozen and give up, or else my profile would be ridiculously long.
Cheers!
Post a Comment